countywide trails committee
This committee, convened by PLAN, and currently headed by Jaclyn Hakes, Chair of Saratoga PLAN, consists of representatives of user groups (horse riders, snowmobilers, runners, walkers, bicyclists, cross-country skiers, etc.) who meet regularly with County planners and administrators to advance the trail network proposed in the Saratoga County Green Infrastructure Plan.
The committee focuses on trail systems that extend beyond municipal boundaries and have the potential for serving as alternative transportation centers as well as providing quality recreational experiences. The committee recognizes that not every section of every trail will be appropriate for every user group and appreciates the input of all user groups.
The public is welcome to attend the meetings, held every other month at the County office building in Ballston Spa. Meeting announcements and minutes are posted regularly. To receive periodic trails news by email send us your email address.
A 2018 Countywide Trails Committee meeting schedule has been established. The Committee will meet the third Monday of the month, every other month at 4:30pm at the Saratoga County Planning Office. Please mark your calendars! We hope to see you there.
2018 Countywide Trails Committee Meeting Schedule (may be subject to change):
- Monday, March 19, 2018
- Monday, May 21, 2018
- Monday, July 16, 2018
- Monday, September 17, 2018
- Monday, November 19, 2018
Also, your participation is welcome in the Capital District Trails Plan, sponsored by the Capital District Transportation Committee (CDTC). Learn more.
Board of Supervisors Trails Committee Top Goals
- Complete Right of Way acquisition to connect the Zim Smith Trail south and east into the City of Mechanicville.
- Champlain Canalway Projects.
- Identify funding dollars for the construction of the Waterford section of the trail to meet the Halfmoon segment that will be built in the spring/summer of 2014. Would provide 7 miles of continuous trail.
- Work with Scenic Byway grant and others to determine best method to bring Canalway Trail across Route 4 and 32 into Mechanicville.
- Support Stillwater, Halfmoon, Waterford and Saratoga in their efforts to complete the trail.
- Advocate with NYS for the extension of the Palmertown Trail from Moreau Lake State Park through the property currently owned by McGregor Prison.
- Facilitate agreement with NYS DEC, Lyme Timber lands, and Saratoga PLAN to provide legal access to the Spruce Mt Fire Tower.
- Assist and support equine advocates in developing a trail system on county forest lands in Moreau to connect with Moreau Lake State Park.
- Update the county and PLAN’s website for the trails throughout the county.