GIS internship opportunities
GIS internship opportunities are offered on an ongoing basis, with one intern accepted per semester, including summer sessions. Interns are supervised by Saratoga PLAN stewardship staff and/or the Executive Director, and spend the majority of their time working out of Saratoga PLAN’s office located at 112 Spring Street, Saratoga Springs, New York.
GIS interns assist with building community support for trails and parks in Saratoga County. Interns gather, format, and organize data on parks, trails, preserves, and protected agricultural lands, developing a comprehensive geodatabase for community and conservation planning in Saratoga County. Some internships involve working closely with the Saratoga County Planning Department and community groups operating within the county. Specific areas of focus are assigned based on Saratoga PLAN’s project needs at the time of application, as well as the applicant’s skillset, background, and interests.
Examples of Intern Responsibilities:
- Acquire data on protected lands in Saratoga County through interviews with municipal officials, planners, and conservation organizations, and via researching county tax parcel data.
- Design and populate comprehensive, robust geodatabases, with metadata, using ESRI ArcView of all protected lands, detailing attributes at the site and landscape level useful to planners, trail users, and cartographers.
- Prepare, and update downloadable maps for Saratoga PLAN’s protected properties.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transport. Willingness to travel with mileage reimbursement.
- Self-motivated individual, with strong time-management skills.
- Understanding and interest in the mission of Saratoga PLAN.
- A motivated graduate or upper level undergraduate student currently enrolled in an applicable major/program.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with upper level GIS courses and subjects, and a strong skillset and understanding of GIS techniques, program manipulation, and data assessment.
- Strong organizational skills.
8-30 hours per week.
If you have any questions about Saratoga PLAN’s GIS internship opportunities, and/or would like to apply for a GIS internship, please submit a resume and cover letter to our Stewardship Director, Greg, at: Greg@saratogaplan.org.